A Drop of Wisdom: Vetiver Essential OilOctober 23, 2019
Our weekly series “Drops of Wisdom” is sponsored content, provided by dōTERRA for you to enjoy here on my site! That means this content is copyright to dōTERRA, not me. Enjoy this week’s Drop of Wisdom!
The roots of the vetiver plant are unique in their ability to grow downward, creating a thick tangle of roots in the ground. The root of the hearty vetiver plant is the origin of Vetiver oil and produces a fragrance that is earthy and strong. This aroma has been used among many perfume industries and is a notable characteristic of Vetiver oil. Vetiver oil is composed of multiple sesquiterpenes, giving Vetiver oil a grounding effect on emotions. This grounding effect makes Vetiver oil a commonly used essential oil in massage practices and topical and aromatic uses. Vetiver oil can also be taken internally to support a healthy immune system.*
Where to Buy Vetiver Oil: To buy a potent and pure bottle of Vetiver, visit the Vetiver oil product page.
When buying essential oils, there are two factors that are crucial to consider—potency and purity. The more potent and pure an essential oil is, the greater its ability to meet individual needs.
With a mission to provide the highest standard of pure essential oils, doTERRA submits each batch of essential oils to the CPTG Certified Pure Therapeutic Grade® protocol. This protocol contains a series of strict tests that prove the purity of each batch of essential oil. When the oils are found pure, they are sold so that people around the world can receive their benefits. When you purchase doTERRA essential oils, you can feel confident knowing that the oils they receive are pure, potent, and of the highest quality.
Keep reading to learn more about how to use Vetiver oil.
Vetiver Oil Uses and Benefits
- When experiencing anxious, unnerved, or stressed feelings, use Vetiver oil aromatically or topically. Vetiver oil is rich in sesquiterpenes, which contain grounding properties. When used on the skin or inhaled, Vetiver essential oil can help provide a calming and grounding effect on emotions.
- Aid your immune system by taking Vetiver oil internally.* Vetiver oil contains immune-supporting properties and is a great way to fortify your immune system.* For healthy immune support, place a couple of drops of Vetiver essential oil into a doTERRA Veggie Capsule and take it internally.*
- School can be taxing and sometimes stressful for children. After a difficult day at school, help your child relax by applying Vetiver oil to your child’s neck and feet. This will help promote calm and grounded feelings.
- Give your body a little TLC with a Vetiver essential oil bath. For best results, fill the bathtub with warm water and add a couple of drops of Vetiver essential oil the water. These simple steps will provide you with an ideal bath that is perfect for deep relaxation. The aromatic benefits of Vetiver oil will also aid in creating a soothing and calming atmosphere.
- Traveling always comes with certain risks—environmental threats being one of them. To help prepare your body for traveling and a change in environment, take Vetiver essential oil internally. For best results, combine one to two drops of Vetiver oil with Lemon oil in a veggie capsule. This powerful combination of oils will help support a healthy immune system.*
- Vetiver oil’s aroma is sweet, woody, and smoky–emitting a strong, earthy scent. Use the earthy tones of Vetiver essential oil as a base for your favorite DIY diffuser blends. Adding Vetiver essential oil to a diffuser blend will provide aromatic benefits that have a calming, grounding effect on emotions.
- Sleep is extremely important for the health of both the mind and body. When we do not receive adequate sleep or have too many sleepless nights, our body functions begin to slow down. To help promote a restful night’s sleep, rub Vetiver oil on the bottom of your feet. Vetiver oil is a great essential oil for sleep and relaxation and can help give your body the sleep it needs.
- Give your body a powerful boost by adding one to two drops of Vetiver essential oil to your tea or hot drinks during the winter months. Vetiver essential oil contains immune-supporting properties that will help fortify your body against seasonal threats.*
- Because of Vetiver oil’s grounding effects, it is commonly used for massages. After a long day of standing, apply a few drops of Vetiver essential oil to your feet and slowly massage the oil in. A Vetiver oil massage is perfect after a long day, and the aromatic features of the oil can also provide a grounding and calming effect on emotions.
The Vetiver plant, Vetiveria zizanioides, is a member of the grass family. The grass of the plant is a vibrant green color and grows straight and vertical. Unlike other grasses, the root system of Vetiver grows down, making it ideal for helping prevent erosion and providing soil stabilization. The many roots of the plant grow in large clusters underground. doTERRA obtains Vetiver essential oil from the roots of the vetiver plant.
Chemistry of Vetiver Essential Oil
Main Chemical Components: Carvone, isovalencenol, khusimol The main chemical constituents of Vetiver essential oil are carvone, isovalencenol, and khusimol. Both isovalencenol and khusimol are sesquiterpenes that are part of the alcohols functional group. These chemicals have grounding properties and are what makes Vetiver essential oil a grounding oil. Carvone is a monoterpene that is a member of the ketones functional group. Carvone contains energizing properties that add to the beneficial chemical properties of Vetiver essential oil. To learn more about the chemical makeup of Vetiver oil or other essential oils, visit the doTERRA Science Blog.
Oils that Blend Well with Vetiver Essential Oil
Possible skin sensitivity. Keep out of reach of children. If you are pregnant, nursing, or under a doctor’s care, consult your physician. Avoid contact with eyes, inner ears, and sensitive areas.
Repost of original content from doTERRA. The original article can be found here: https://www.doterra.com/US/en/blog/spotlight-vetiver-oil