Our weekly series “Drops of Wisdom” is sponsored content, provided by dōTERRA for you to enjoy here on my site! That means this content is copyright to dōTERRA, not me. Enjoy this week’s Drop of Wisdom!
This week we will be spotlighting dōTERRA Lemon. Lemon is known for its purifying properties. Often used in cleaning products and air purifiers, Lemon has distinct cleansing and deodorizing characteristics that make it a popular choice for cleaning surfaces and purifying the air.
Purchase your bottle of dōTERRA Lemon today!
“Have family coming over for the Thanksgiving holiday? The cleansing and preserving qualities of Lemon make it the perfect oil for maintaining your furniture. By adding a few drops of Lemon essential oil to olive oil, you can create your own non-toxic furniture polish at home. When applied to furniture, Lemon essential oil leaves a clean shine, prevents fine wood finishes from drying out, and can replace lost moisture in antique woods as it penetrates worn finishes. When trying this polish on your own homemade furniture, always apply the polish in an inconspicuous spot before applying it to the entire piece. Take a look at our Wood Polish DIY to learn how to make your own.”– from “doTERRA Weekly Drops of Wisdom”
Lemon Essential Oil Product Description
As one of doTERRA’s top-selling oils, Lemon oil has a variety of uses and benefits. With a clean, fresh, citrus aroma, Lemon is known for its purifying properties. Often used in cleaning products and air purifiers, Lemon has distinct cleansing and deodorizing characteristics that make it a popular choice for cleaning surfaces and purifying the air. As a versatile oil, Lemon also has the ability to aid in digestion and support healthy respiratory function when taken internally.* Whether it is being diffused, taken internally, or applied topically, Lemon essential oil offers a variety of benefits.
Where to Buy Lemon Essential Oil
When you buy essential oils, it is important to ensure that you are receiving a high quality, pure, and potent product. If you are looking for pure Lemon essential oil, visit our Lemon page to see how you can order your own today. At doTERRA, we use CPTG Certified Pure Therapeutic Grade® testing to make sure every bottle has the purest oil possible.
Lemon Essential Oil Uses and Benefits
- Add Lemon essential oil to your water for a refreshing taste or as an alternative to sodas and sugary drinks. When taken internally, Lemon oil can also naturally cleanse the body and aid in digestion.* You can even add a drop of Lemon essential oil and sliced fruit to your water for a delicious infused flavor.
- Whether you like working on your bike, your car, or projects in the garage, you know the frustration of trying to get black grease off your hands. No matter how hard you scrub with soap, there always seems to be a greasy residue left behind. Give your soap a little extra cleaning power by adding a few drops of Lemon essential oil to your soap mixture, and give your hands a good scrub.
- Have you ever tried using Lemon oil for skin? It turns out, Lemon essential oil can help exfoliate your skin. When incorporated into your skincare routine, Lemon oil can help give your complexion a refreshed, healthy looking glow. To make your own homemade exfoliant scrub, combine 4–5 drops of doTERRA Lemon essential oil to a small amount of oatmeal and water. As you apply the Lemon oatmeal scrub to your skin, you will feel the cleansing and refreshing properties of Lemon oil working to exfoliate and clean your skin.
- When diffused, Lemon essential oil provides an uplifting environment and promotes a positive mood. Due to the chemical makeup of this oil, it has been shown to help improve mood with an energizing and invigorating aroma. If you want to diffuse Lemon oil, use three to four drops in the essential oil diffuser of your choice.
Diffusing Lemon essential oil will also help cleanse and purify the air and surfaces in your home. Whether you are trying to eliminate airborne odors, or just like to keep your house smelling fresh, bright, and clean, Lemon is an optimal choice for diffusing—on its own or in a diffuser blend. Looking for a good Lemon essential oil diffuser blend? Add 2 drops of Lemon, 1 drop of Lime, 1 drop of Lavender, and 1 drop of Rosemary to your diffuser for a “Clean Summer Kitchen” aroma.
- The cleansing and preserving qualities of Lemon make it the perfect oil for maintaining your furniture. Whether your furniture could use a good wipe-down, a new shine, or just a little TLC, there are several uses for Lemon essential oil when it comes to cleaning and preserving furniture. By adding a few drops of Lemon essential oil to olive oil, you can create your own non-toxic furniture polish at home. When applied to furniture, Lemon essential oil leaves a clean shine, prevents fine wood finishes from drying out, and can replace lost moisture in antique woods as it penetrates worn finishes. When trying this polish on your own homemade furniture, always apply the polish in an inconspicuous spot before applying it to the entire piece. Take a look at our Wood Polish DIY to learn how to make your own.
While Lemon can work wonders with wood furniture, it is also useful for maintaining leather furniture. It takes a lot of work and special care to preserve a leather couch or leather chair, but Lemon essential oil takes a lot of the work out of it for you with its preservative properties. Use a Lemon oil-soaked cloth to wipe down your leather furniture to help preserve the piece, and prevent the leather from splitting.
- Are you a fan of lemon-infused desserts? You can add a sweet and zesty punch to your favorite treats and dessert recipes when you add a little Lemon essential oil. When used properly, Lemon essential oil often adds a sweet, sugary taste to desserts, without the processed sugar or other alternative ingredients. For example, Lemon essential oil makes these Blueberry Lemon Muffins a delectable treat. The bold, bright flavor of Lemon oil makes these Honey Suckers the perfect homemade treat. You can cool off in the heat with this delicious and refreshing Strawberry Citrus Slush with Lemon essential oil. Your favorite lemon-flavored treats are just waiting to be transformed—try your hand at baking with Lemon oil today!
- Lemon oil is a great remedy for the early stages of tarnish on silver and other metals. No need to throw out jewelry, silverware, or other household items that have started to tarnish—just put a couple of drops of Lemon essential oil on a cotton ball, and rub on the tarnish to bring back the natural beauty of your metals.
- A major benefit of Lemon essential oil is its purifying properties, which makes it the perfect component for homemade cleaning agents. If you are worried about dirt and grime, Lemon essential oil is the perfect solution for cleaning the surfaces of your bathroom and kitchen.
Add Lemon essential oil to a spray bottle of water and use it as a homemade cleaning solution when you wipe down your countertops, baby high chair, bathroom sink, or anything else that needs the purifying power of Lemon. To make the solution even stronger, consider adding a little vinegar. The beauty of a homemade cleaning solution made with Lemon essential oil is that it doesn’t include all the chemicals that store-bought cleaners have. You can rest easy knowing that your cleaning agent won’t pose a threat to you and your family, because it is chemical-free! Want more Lemon oil cleaning ideas? Try this easy and effective glass cleanser.
- While Lemon essential oil holds many cleansing and purifying properties when used topically, it can also be very beneficial when taken internally. When seasonal changes start to bother you, try taking Lemon internally to assist with seasonal respiratory discomfort.* Aside from assisting with respiratory discomfort, Lemon oil can also be taken internally to naturally cleanse the body and aid in digestion.* When taking Lemon essential oil internally, dilute one drop on 4 fl. oz. of liquid. As mentioned above, you can also find creative ways to add Lemon to your water. Once you’ve discovered your preferred method for taking Lemon oil internally, you’ll be able to enjoy the benefits of respiratory assistance and body cleansing.*
- Stubborn, sticky residue used to be an annoyance, but with the help of Lemon essential oil, you can get rid of goopy messes without hours of scrubbing or the use of toxic chemicals. Did you peel the price tag off of your new water bottle, only to find a sticky residue left behind? Does your toddler’s fascination with stickers frequently result in an adhesive mess on the bedroom wall? Did your teenager leave behind a big sticky mess after making a PB&J sandwich five hours ago? Normally, these situations would mean a long night of scrubbing for you, with remnants of a sticky mess still left behind. However, adding a little Lemon essential oil to a rag will help you get rid of these messes (and others like them) in practically no time at all.
Lemon essential oil is extracted from the lemon rinds, or peel of the lemon. The lemon rinds are cold pressed to produce lemon essential oil. An expression distillation process, cold pressing is typically used for citrus oils when producing essential oils, and uses high mechanical pressure to produce oil from the lemon rind. While other distillation processes use heat, the process of cold pressing merely squeezes the oil from the rind, with the help of mechanical pressure.
Fun Fact: In one year, a single lemon tree has the potential to produce between 500 and 600 pounds of lemons. It typically takes around 75 lemons to fill a 15mL essential oil bottle.
Chemistry of Lemon Essential Oil
Main Chemical components: Limonene, ß pinenes, γ-terpimene
When we examine the scientific makeup of Lemon essential oil, it is clear that Lemon can’t help but provide an energizing, uplifting feeling when diffused or applied topically—it just comes naturally! Lemon oil is comprised of chemicals called monoterpenes, which are generally known to have uplifting characteristics. Along with other citrus oils, Lemon is composed of Limonene and beta-Pinene, two monoterpenes that are known for their uplifting properties.
Lemon essential oil shares chemical components like Limonene and beta-Pinene with other doTERRA essential oils like Bergamot, Wild Orange, Grapefruit, Lime, and Douglas Fir. That is why all of these oils, including Lemon oil, are often used to promote a positive mood and create an uplifting environment.
doTERRA sources Lemon essential oil from citrus orchards in Sicily, Italy, where families who have grown lemon and bergamot for generations help grow and harvest the lemons that are eventually used for doTERRA Lemon oil. In the past, economic downturn caused many Sicilian orchards to close; however, through Co-Impact Sourcing®, doTERRA has provided a business opportunity for growers who wish to continue their family tradition of running an orchard. Watch this video to learn more about doTERRA’s Co-Impact Sourcing initiative in Sicily.
Oils that blend well with Lemon essential oil
Not only is Lemon a versatile oil when it comes to uses and benefits, but it also blends well with a variety of other essential oils. If you want to bring out the bright, energizing scent of Lemon oil, consider blending it with other citrus oils like Grapefruit, Lime or Bergamot. The refreshing scent of Lemon also blends well with minty essential oils that contain a citrus note, like Douglas Fir or Wintergreen. Lastly, Lemon oil can be the perfect complement to spicy oils like Cinnamon or Wild Orange.
Possible skin sensitivity. Keep out of reach of children. If you are pregnant, nursing, or under a doctor’s care, consult your physician. Avoid contact with eyes, inner ears, and sensitive areas. Avoid sunlight or UV rays for up to 12 hours after applying the product.
— Reprinted from doTERRA’s Official Web Site. The original article can be found here: https://www.doterra.com/US/en/blog/spotlight-lemon-oil