Lactose Free Vanilla PuddingJuly 16, 2012
This pudding was the result of a kitchen experiment, and I have since “perfected” the recipe and updated this post. I served it with a cup up banana and my son went nuts over it! It would taste amazing with some cocoa powder added to make chocolate pudding, or as a pudding base for Banana Pudding! Try it out and please let me know what variations you used and how it turned out! I used Lactaid milk for lactose free pudding, but it would turn out just as nice with regular milk. Please make sure you DO NOT use a Teflon coated pan, as you will be whipping the mixture while it cooks to keep it smooth. A ceramic or stainless steel pot would be a much better choice.
Time: Prep: 3 minutes | Cooking: 20 minutes | Cooling: 1 hour
Servings: 2 servings, 1/2 cup each
- Pour milk, sugar and cornstarch into a small saucepan (not Telfon!)
- Whip by hand with a whisk or using a hand mixer until bubbly and starting to thicken slightly
- Add the egg and continue to whisk/whip the mixture, placing it over medium low heat.
- Whisk/whip continuously as mixture comes to a boil
- Keep mixture at a slow boil for at least 3 minutes to make sure the egg is cooked. Whisk continuously.
- Your mixture should be slightly thicker. Remove from heat and add in the vanilla, whisking all the while.
- Pour into a container and refrigerate for at least an hour before serving
- Serve plain, with fresh fruit, whipped topping and wafers or as a part of a larger dish, like Banana Pudding! This recipe will surprise you with its creamy, yummy flavor!